Virtual Reality or also VR, is currently very upcoming in the design industries. It is a new and realistic way to sell your product.
VR, Virtual Reality, actually already exists quite long time. Nowadays the quality has become much better and it is also much cheaper and therefore more accessible to many people. It has already been widely used in games to experience the game as realistically as possible. But VR can also be used very well for 3D designs. For example, the customer can already walk through his house while it has not even been built yet. This gives the client a good idea of what awaits him or her.
How does it work?
The most important part of virtual reality is the visual aspect. They try to make your brain believe that you are in a real 3-dimensional space. In the first place, use is made of stereoscopic screens. With this technique, images of a scene from light in different angles are shown to each eye. Your brain will merge the two images, creating depth.
Furthermore, parallax is used. This is the phenomenon that the apparent position of an object with respect to another object varies when viewed from different positions. For example, an object in the foreground will move faster than an object in the background when you move your head sideways. Your brain uses parallax to determine the relative depth between objects. In VR, this phenomenon will be attempted to imitate in order to create depth again in the image. Shadows complete the picture. To make your brain believe you are in a real world, enough images should be shown per second.
Advantages of VR
- Entertainment, gaming and other recreational and creative applications become better and more intense. An advantage is therefore the pleasure that can be experienced.
- The recording and omission of memories get so much more depth than a photo or simple video.
- People who have become isolated will have a more lively environment available.
- More time will be available for other things if you can learn, experience and research much more effectively. With a virtual reality experience you can reach many more people at once.
Disadvantages of VR
- For the good use of virtual reality often (still) expensive and good hardware is needed.
- The use of virtual reality sometimes needs a good safe and shielded room to move safely.
- With a virtual reality glasses you can not see the surroundings anymore. This is inconvenient, but can also be unsafe. As virtual reality becomes more accessible and realistic, the chance that more and more people want to escape from the real world (escapism) is a disadvantageous psychological risk.
- When it comes to learning objectives and imitating reality, there is a chance that the learned in the real world will not work well enough.
- You can get dizzy by using virtual reality glasses.